There is allot of confusion about the endorsements for student pilots, sport pilots, private pilots,…
These are the steps to take to add a Category/ Class to your pilot certificate (such as sport or private pilot airplane adding additional category sport pilot weight-shift control trike).
How To Add a New “Category and/or Class” for all Pilots and Certified Flight Instructors at the sport pilot level
For all Pilots and Sport Pilot Certified Flight Instructor (CFIS) this is a Proficiency Check to obtain privlages at the sport pilot level.
First lets understand what is a category and a class.
- Weight-Shift Control (WSC) trike
- Powered Parachute
- Airplane Single engine Land ASEL
- Airplane Single Engine Sea ASES
- Weight-shift Control Land WSCL
- Weight-shift Control Sea WSCS
- Powered Parachute Land PPL
- Powered Parachute Sea PPS
To add a category or class at the sport pilot level, two CFI’s are needed per 61.321. The first one for a training/recommendation, the second one for the proficiency check as follows.
- Receive training on aeronautical knowledge and skill per § 61.309 and § 61.311 for the additional light-sport aircraft category and/or class.
- Receive logbook endorsement from this authorized instructor to take proficiency check.
- Get CFI recommendation on the FAA Form 8710-11 for proficiency check.
- Successfully complete a proficiency check from an authorized instructor other than the instructor who provided training and recommendation. The proficiency check for an additional category/class has all the same tasks in the Practical Test Standards (PTS) as the initial pilot checkride. The difference is that it is performed by a CFI rather than an FAA examiner or designated pilot examiner (DPE). DPE’s can , perform proficiency checks but they are acting as a flight instructor for the Proficiency check.
- Receive a logbook endorsement from the instructor who conducted the proficiency check for the additional category and/or class. This instructor will fill out the proficiency check area on the 8710-11 and send the form directly to the FAA Registry within a maximum of 10 days so the added category/class goes on the pilots record with the FAA. Additional category/class at the sport pilot level are not added to the plastic pilot license/certificate. They are log book entries only.
For adding Private pilot trike
For adding an additional private pilot category (such as Private pilot weight-shift control trike to private pilot airplane), than all the requirements for a private pilot must be met. See private pilot training for more on this. See additional private pilot privileges for differences in private pilot and sport pilot trike and reasons why one may be better than the other for you.